Wednesday 5 December 2012

Cold evenings special hot chocolate

I love those long, cold evenings. Just wrap myself in a cosy blanket with a book in one hand and one of my "special winter drinks" in the other. 
Today I'll share my favourite hot chocolate recipe with you. I think it was my mum that invented it and it was our Sunday morning drink when we were kids. It's really delicious, sweet and super easy - hope you will like it too!


Ingredients: 
- full fat milk
- dark cocoa powder / unsweetened cocoa
- sugar
- egg

How to:
1. Measure 3/4 cup of milk and heat it up.
2. Meantime beat egg white, when it starts to get stiff add a tablespoon of sugar and continue beating. Keep on adding sugar and beating until it becomes stiff. You may add some vanilla sugar at this point if you want. I usually use three tablespoons of sugar at this stage.
3. Add two tablespoons of sugar to egg yolk and beat together until smooth.
4. Make the cocoa - put two teaspoons of cocoa powder in a mug and mix with little hot water, then add hot milk. Leave some room for your "fluffy egg".
5. Put beaten egg white on your cocoa, then pour the yolk on top.
6. Get a good book, sit comfortably and enjoy! 

Tips:
Don't sweeten your drink as the "fluff" is already quite sweet.
To spice your drink up just add 1/2 teaspoon of chilli, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.


Please read: I always pour boiling water over raw eggs before I use them to reduce the risk of salmonella contamination. For more information about safe use of raw eggs please read this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog